Issue 3 - 12th September 2019
Dear Parents and Carers
We have only just finished our first full week back at Parkfield and our pupils have settled in brilliantly into their new classes and with their new teachers. All our Parkfielders have come back after the summer break refreshed and ready for the challenges ahead of them.
I had the pleasure of spending a few hours last week with our Year 5s on their residential at Robinwood. I came away incredibly proud of the group because of the teamwork, bravery and positive attitude each and every one of them showed. It was a great start to the year and one we certainly will be repeating next year with the current year 4 pupils.
I have previously explained that I wanted Parkfielders to experience 'memorable moments' within our curriculum and we have a few of those planned over the next few weeks. Year 1 and 2 are having a visit from the staff and animals from Knowsley Safari Park. Years 5 and 6 are having a special 'Science Evolution workshop' whilst Years 3 and 4 are visiting the Palace Theatre, Manchester to watch Horrible Histories - Awful Egyptians.
Next week we will see democracy in action at Parkfield as classes vote for members of their class that they want to represent them in our pupil voice groups. School and Eco Council application forms will be sent home next week giving pupils in Y2 and above the opportunity to make a difference to the school community.
Please see below for some important information and have a lovely weekend.
- ROBINWOOD Year 5 had an amazing time on their three-day residential to Robinwood activity centre. They were lucky enough to get some dry weather and sunshine on the second and third days. You can see all the photographs here of the different activities that they took part in.
- PHOTOGRAPHS The school photographer will be in school this Wednesday 18th September 2019. All children will have a traditional and a contemporary photograph taken. If you would like your child/children to have their photograph taken with siblings that are not of primary school age (younger or older), please make your way to the school library via the office entrance for 8.00am.
- AFTER SCHOOL SPORTS Mrs Banks, who has been with us for the past 12 months, is going to continue teaching PE across the school and take all the after school sports clubs this year. Mrs Banks will also coach and accompany the Parkfield teams to the numerous events that we take part in across the year.
- MANCHESTER UNITED FOOTBALL TRAINING We're in a fortunate position to have Manchester United football club coaches delivering sessions to children in Reception and Year 1 on Thursday's for the whole of this half term.
- PTFA Thanks to those parents that were able to join us this morning for our first PTA meeting of the year. They have planned some great events across the year and would welcome any support from parents in future. If you'd like to help at any events please contact Mrs Steele.
- OPEN DAY FOR PROSPECTIVE PARENTS We are holding two open days this year at Parkfield on Tuesday 15th October and Thursday 14th November 2019. There will be a presentation at 9.30am from Headteacher, Mr Kemp on both days. However, prospective parents are welcome to come along at any time in the day for a tour of the school.
- ALDI VOUCHERS If you shop in Aldi, please collect the stickers for school that they are promoting. If we collect 300 stickers as a school we will get some free sports equipment and the opportunity to win £20,000. Find out more information here.
- PUNCTUALITY Thank you to everyone for your efforts in getting your children into school for 8.45am. We understand that it can be difficult, particularly if you have more than one child to drop off at different entrances within the 5 minute window. However, teachers have seen a huge impact in classrooms where the vast majority of pupils are in class completing the 'start of day' activities well before 9am.
- SCHOOL GATE As reminder that as part of our safeguarding arrangements, the school gates will be opened a few minutes after 3.00pm. Although this means some parents and carers may have to wait outside the gates at the end of the day, I’m sure you’ll understand the importance of keeping your children safe.
- KS2 RESULTS 2019 Our Y6 results from this summer are now available on our website here. We are incredibly proud of last year's Year 6 who put in huge amount of effort into their SATS. Our results show that Parkfielders achieve similar to national levels in many areas. We were also pleased with the increase in 2019 in the number of children working at a greater depth in reading and maths. However, we know there are improvements to be made and we are committed as a staff to ensure that all pupils achieve the very best they can.
- YEAR 6 RESIDENTIAL Year 6 will be spending 2 nights in Blackpool later this year. The residential, which has been a huge success over the past 2 years, will include a visit to the tower, pleasure beach and St. Anne's. Keep an eye on your email for more details.
- PARENT AND CARER VIEWS Thanks to all those that have attended the various events over the past few weeks at school. Special thanks also to those that responded to the questionnaires emailed out. The feedback we recieve helps us improve future events and you can find the questionnaire results and school responses here.
- MEET THE TEACHER If you were unable to attend the meetings the presentations can be found on our Twitter feed below.
- REMINDER - HUMMUS BANNED FROM PACKED LUNCHES Unfortunately, we are going to have to ban hummus from packed lunches. We have child with a serious allergy and for health and safety reasons I have decided to take this action. Thanks in advance for your cooperation on the matter.
- REMINDER - NEW STAFF ROLES Mrs Whalen is the new Deputy Headteacher and will happily assist with any queries or issues you may have. Mrs Whalen will still be continuing her role as the school SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator). Miss Steele is now the school's Designated Safeguarding Lead. Her role includes supporting families and working with outside agencies (such as social services and the NHS).
- PTA Click here for more information on the PTA.
- EARLY BIRDS AND BUSY BEES There are limited places available for our before and after school club. Please click here for more information. Please note that for health and safety reasons, we have to close the gates at the back of school at 4.15pm each night. This will mean that children attending Busy Bees will have to be picked up through the main gates.
- TUCKSHOP is available for years 3-6 everyday and is 20p per item. Reception, Year 1 and 2 have fruit and milk provided each day for free. Years 1 and 2 may bring in 20p on Fridays only for toast.
- VOLUNTEERS Would you like to come and join our Parkfield family as a volunteer? We are looking for a volunteer to support our wonderful Reception class with reading. If you are interested in this then please contact Mrs Whalen.
- PARKFIELD DIG DAY is on SATURDAY 5th October. We are welcoming family and friends of Parkfield to join us and help us to clear part of the Friendship Garden. This is to create a 'forest school' environment for our children to continue their learning outside of the classroom. Simply come along between 11am-3pm with gardening tools to offer a helping hand. Sandwiches and refreshments will be provided. All help is appreciated!
- FRIENDS OF PARKFIELD We have a closed group on Facebook where you can find up-to-date information about PTFA events. If you would like to join then please make a Facebook request.
🍴 School Dinners🍴
- In line with local authority guidance, the price of school meals has increased to £2.20 each day, £11 per week for KS2 children. All monies will be collected using 'School Gateway'. Please note, if school meals are 2 weeks in arrears you will be asked to provide a packed lunch.
- The school provides healthy and nutritious school meals that are cooked onsite. The contents of each school meal is in line with Healthy Eating Guidelines which is a requirement for all schools.
- All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to a Universal Infant Free School Meal (UIFSM), irrespective of family income and family circumstances. If your circumstances change in future and you then receive benefits, you will need to apply for a Free School Meal (FSM). The number of children entitled to a FSM affects the funding we receive as a school. Therefore, we kindly ask all parents that believe they may be entitled, to apply for FSM. These forms can be collected from the school office or downloaded online from http://www.rochdale.gov.uk/schools_and_children/free_school_meals.aspx
🔗 Useful Links 🔗
Find out about how our curriculum is structured and the objectives children learn in each year group and subject. We are currently in Autumn 1 Cycle B.
A range of activities are set each half term related to the learning taking place in the classroom.
Payments for dinners, trips and other activities can be made online using the School Gateway.
Would you like the opportunity to win £25,000 each week and support the school? If so, please join the Parkfield school lottery where one person from our school is guaranteed a prize each week. A percentage of the money raised goes towards school funds.
🔔 Reminders 🔔
✅ Please read as much as possible with your child. Just 10 minutes a day can make a huge difference.
✅ There is a spelling test each Friday for Y1-6 and new spellings to be learnt are also given out on a Friday.
✅ Library days: Mon – 5/6, Tues – 3/4, Weds – 1/2, Thurs – R.
✅ Mathletics tasks are set online each week to consolidate and extend learning.
✅ ‘Plain black’ shoes or trainers with no other colours on them
✅ Information about school uniform can be found on the school website here.
✅ All after school clubs finish at 4pm. Please let us know if your child doesn’t want to continue as we usually have long waiting lists.
✅ School water bottles are available for £1 from the school office. No other water bottle is allowed.
✅ All equipment is provided by school. Please don’t send pens, pencils, pencil cases…etc.
✅ Remember to check your emails, we like to send plenty!
⏰ Attendance and Punctuality
- This weeks attendance award goes to Y4 with 99.1%. Our target for this year is for the whole school to achieve 96% or above in attendance.
- It is also very important that all children are in school at 8.45am so that they can access our SODA (starter of the day activity) this includes both literacy and numeracy activities.
⚠️ Health and Safety
- Please DO NOT bring dogs into the school grounds.
- A dog may bite when confronted by a pupil.
- A few of our children are scared of dogs.
- Faeces have been found on the school grounds where children play.
- We have found faeces recently on the path leading up to the back gate of the school. Please make sure if this is your dog, any mess isn’t left for our children to stand in.