Issue 4 - Monday 23rd September 2019
Dear Parents and Carers
This morning we witnessed democracy in action as we announced who would be representing the School council and Eco council after last week's class votes. These positions of responsibility are incredibly important at Parkfield as those elected will contribute to the running of the school and dealing with some key issues. Thanks to those that supported their children in preparing speeches and completing application forms.
Good Luck also to the Y3 and 4 classes who are going to the theatre on Thursday to watch Horrible Histories Live. I am sure that all the children will have a fantastic experience where they'll learn lots of interesting and exciting facts ready to bring back to school.
Finally, the whole school is looking forward to next Monday morning where they'll be learning about countries all over Europe during our 'European Day of Languages'. Keep an eye on our Twitter feed to see the wonderful learning taking place.
- MACMILLAN COFFEE 'AFTERNOON' Please note that this Friday 27th September at 2pm in the school hall, friends and families are invited to come along to a Macmillan Coffee afternoon. Donations towards this wonderful charity can be made on the day by those attending and our newly appointed School Council will be helping serve during the afternoon. If you would like to donate any cake - homemade or bought - please send it on on Friday morning.
- ATTENDANCE POLICY Our new attendance policy has just been approved by the governors and is now available on our website here. The key change is that our policy is now in line with the local authority and other local schools regarding penalty notices. A penalty notice will be issued for holidays taken during term-time which total 5 days or more. We recognise that this is short notice and as a result will implement the change from Christmas. In addition, if you have already booked a holiday after Christmas, and have the evidence proving that the holiday has already been booked we will not issue a penalty notice. I'm sure you will understand that having good attendance and punctuality is vital for children to achieve and succeed at school and thanks in advance for your support on this matter.
- CHILDREN ON SOCIAL MEDIA SITES It has been brought to our attention that many of our children in years 3-6 have social media accounts on apps that they're not old enough for (e.g. Instagram). Please keep a careful eye on what your children are signing up for and be aware that if issues occur on these sites that school become aware of we have a duty of care to report it to the app provider.
- RACE NIGHT Tickets are now on sale for our next PTA event. Our first ever Race night takes place on Friday 11th October and tickets (£5 per family) are now available at the school office. Please purchase your tickets as soon as possible because due to health and safety, we are limited to 120 people.
- BALL GAMES BEFORE SCHOOL A reminder that children are NOT allowed to play ball games or use the playground equipment before or after school since they are not insured and balls could hit others.
- OPEN DAY FOR PROSPECTIVE PARENTS We are holding two open days this year at Parkfield on Tuesday 15th October and Thursday 14th November 2019. There will be a presentation at 9.30am from Headteacher, Mr Kemp on both days. However, prospective parents are welcome to come along at any time in the day for a tour of the school.
- REMINDER - NEW STAFF ROLES Mrs Whalen is the new Deputy Headteacher and will happily assist with any queries or issues you may have. Mrs Whalen will still be continuing her role as the school SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator). Miss Steele is now the school's Designated Safeguarding Lead. Her role includes supporting families and working with outside agencies (such as social services and the NHS).
- PARKFIELD DIG DAY is on SATURDAY 5th October. We are welcoming family and friends of Parkfield to join us and help us to clear part of the Friendship Garden. This is to create a 'forest school' environment for our children to continue their learning outside of the classroom. Simply come along between 11am-3pm with gardening tools to offer a helping hand. Sandwiches and refreshments will be provided. All help is appreciated!
🍴 School Dinners🍴
- In line with local authority guidance, the price of school meals has increased to £2.20 each day, £11 per week for KS2 children. All monies will be collected using 'School Gateway'. Please note, if school meals are 2 weeks in arrears you will be asked to provide a packed lunch.
- The school provides healthy and nutritious school meals that are cooked onsite. The contents of each school meal is in line with Healthy Eating Guidelines which is a requirement for all schools.
- All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to a Universal Infant Free School Meal (UIFSM), irrespective of family income and family circumstances. If your circumstances change in future and you then receive benefits, you will need to apply for a Free School Meal (FSM). The number of children entitled to a FSM affects the funding we receive as a school. Therefore, we kindly ask all parents that believe they may be entitled, to apply for FSM. These forms can be collected from the school office or downloaded online from http://www.rochdale.gov.uk/schools_and_children/free_school_meals.aspx
🔗 Useful Links 🔗
A range of activities are set each half term related to the learning taking place in the classroom.
Payments for dinners, trips and other activities can be made online using the School Gateway.
Would you like the opportunity to win £25,000 each week and support the school? If so, please join the Parkfield school lottery where one person from our school is guaranteed a prize each week. A percentage of the money raised goes towards school funds.
🔔 Reminders 🔔
✅ Please read as much as possible with your child. Just 10 minutes a day can make a huge difference.
✅ There is a spelling test each Friday for Y1-6 and new spellings to be learnt are also given out on a Friday.
✅ Library days: Mon – 5/6, Tues – 3/4, Weds – 1/2, Thurs – R.
✅ Mathletics tasks are set online each week to consolidate and extend learning.
✅ ‘Plain black’ shoes or trainers with no other colours on them
✅ Information about school uniform can be found on the school website here.
✅ All after school clubs finish at 4pm. Please let us know if your child doesn’t want to continue as we usually have long waiting lists.
✅ School water bottles are available for £1 from the school office. No other water bottle is allowed.
✅ All equipment is provided by school. Please don’t send pens, pencils, pencil cases…etc.
✅ Remember to check your emails, we like to send plenty!
⏰ Attendance and Punctuality
- This weeks attendance award goes to Y4 with 99.1%. Our target for this year is for the whole school to achieve 96% or above in attendance.
- It is also very important that all children are in school at 8.45am so that they can access our SODA (starter of the day activity) this includes both literacy and numeracy activities.
⚠️ Health and Safety
- Please DO NOT bring dogs into the school grounds.
- A dog may bite when confronted by a pupil.
- A few of our children are scared of dogs.
- Faeces have been found on the school grounds where children play.
- We have found faeces recently on the path leading up to the back gate of the school. Please make sure if this is your dog, any mess isn’t left for our children to stand in.