Issue 5 - Wednesday 2nd October 2019
Dear Parents and Carers
The start of this week saw the whole school take part in the 'European day of Languages'. I had the pleasure of observing many of the exciting and creative work that took place, including: drinking Turkish tea, singing in French and speaking Italian. The children thoroughly enjoyed the day and certainly had to use their listening skills linked to our 'Parkfielder characteristics'. There is a great video available on our Twitter feed here.
Many of the school's sports teams have been in action over the past couple of weeks and the children have demonstrated their dedication and enthusiasm in all of the competitions. Mrs Banks, who accompanies the teams, has been incredibly impressed with the football team, the basketballers and the dodgeball squad. Good luck to the teams competing over the next few weeks and thanks to all parents and carers for your support in getting children to the fixtures.
Next Wednesday 9th October, we will have our first Parents' Evening of the year where the Parkfield staff are looking forward to a successful afternoon. In addition to the class teachers, myself and Mrs Whalen will be available if you have any questions.
And finally, if you are available this Saturday 5th October between 11am - 3pm please come along to the Friendship garden and join our PTA in the Parkfield 'Dig Day'. More details can be found below.
- NUMBER FACTS We have updated the 'Number Facts' section on our curriculum site and have made 'Speedtables' available to download. The section of the site details the number facts and timetables that your children will be learning each term. For example, this term Y2 are focussing on multiplying by 10, Y3 are multiplying by 3 and Y4 are learning their 6 and 11 timestables. Click here for the site.
- SCHOOL PHOTOGRAPHS A reminder that Wednesday 9th October is school photograph day. If you would like your child/children to have their photograph taken with siblings that are not of primary school age (younger or older), please make your way to the school library via the office entrance for 8.00am.
- PARENTS EVENING You can now 'sign up' in the school foyer for Parents' Evening on Wednesday 9th October. For those parents new to the school, you just need to write your child's name against one of the five minute time slots on your child’s class sheet. For those parents and carers unable to come into school to write on the sheet please contact the school office and they’ll be happy to help.
- This October, we are trialling new timings of 2.30pm – 6.00pm for the meetings because we have previously found that the majority of parents try to sign up to the earlier slots. We appreciate this will impact mostly on parents that work late but we hope that with a 6pm finish we are able to accommodate all parents.
- If you are unable to attend please let the class teacher know and they will happily arrange an alternative time to discuss how your child has settled in.
- School will still finish at the usual time of 3.15pm and parents that arrange their meetings before then will be able to take their child(ren) home afterwards.
- CLASS ASSEMBLIES Friends and family are invited to the class assemblies for Y6 (11th October) and Y2 (18th October) starting at 9.10am in the school hall.
- GOVERNORS Thank you for your recent voting to appoint a parent governor. Both candidates recieved a substantial amount of votes and we are actually in a fortunate position where we are able to appoint both. Mr Kevin Langan will be re-appointed as a Parent Governor and Mr Robert Dugdill is to be co-opted onto the governing board. I'm sure you'll agree from their personal statements that they will both be great assets to the school!
- PTA THANKS Huge thanks to the PTA who have donated over £300 to the school so that teachers could improve the reading areas in each class. The reading areas are to promote reading for pleasure across the school and there will be some photographs on our Twitter feed showing some of the fabulous areas.
- ATTENDANCE POLICY Our new attendance policy has just been approved by the governors and is now available on our website here. The key change is that our policy is now in line with the local authority and other local schools regarding penalty notices. A penalty notice will be issued for holidays taken during term-time which total 5 days or more. We recognise that this is short notice and as a result will implement the change from Christmas. In addition, if you have already booked a holiday after Christmas, and have the evidence proving that the holiday has already been booked we will not issue a penalty notice. I'm sure you will understand that having good attendance and punctuality is vital for children to achieve and succeed at school and thanks in advance for your support on this matter.
- RACE NIGHT Tickets are still on sale for our next PTA event. Our first ever Race night takes place on Friday 11th October and tickets (£5 per family) are now available at the school office. Please purchase your tickets as soon as possible because due to health and safety, we are limited to 120 people.
- OPEN DAY FOR PROSPECTIVE PARENTS We are holding two open days this year at Parkfield on Tuesday 15th October and Thursday 14th November 2019. There will be a presentation at 9.30am from Headteacher, Mr Kemp on both days. However, prospective parents are welcome to come along at any time in the day for a tour of the school.
- REMINDER - NEW STAFF ROLES Mrs Whalen is the new Deputy Headteacher and will happily assist with any queries or issues you may have. Mrs Whalen will still be continuing her role as the school SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator). Miss Steele is now the school's Designated Safeguarding Lead. Her role includes supporting families and working with outside agencies (such as social services and the NHS).
- TEACHING ASSISTANT POSITION AVAILABLE Do you know anyone that would like to join our fabulous Parkfield team? If so, we have a TA1 position available. The job advert, including the person specification can be found here.
- PARKFIELD DIG DAY is on SATURDAY 5th October. We are welcoming family and friends of Parkfield to join us and help us to clear part of the Friendship Garden. This is to create a 'forest school' environment for our children to continue their learning outside of the classroom. Simply come along between 11am-3pm with gardening tools to offer a helping hand. The plan is to dig some paths out ready for the children to use. Snacks and refreshments will be provided. All help is appreciated!
- HARVEST SERVICE Father Phillip will be joining us in the school hall on Wednesday 16th October when we celebrate Harvest. We will be asking for the usual donations nearer the time and these will be sent to the Middleton Foodbank.
- COFFEE AFTERNOON Thank to everyone who baked and bought cakes for our Macmillan Coffee afternoon, you raised a fabulous £157.60 which is now on its way to Macmillan.
🍴 School Dinners🍴
- Please let the school office know as soon as possible if your child is changing from school meals to packed lunches and vice versa.
- In line with local authority guidance, the price of school meals has increased to £2.20 each day, £11 per week for KS2 children. All monies will be collected using 'School Gateway'. Please note, if school meals are 2 weeks in arrears you will be asked to provide a packed lunch.
- The school provides healthy and nutritious school meals that are cooked onsite. The contents of each school meal is in line with Healthy Eating Guidelines which is a requirement for all schools.
- All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to a Universal Infant Free School Meal (UIFSM), irrespective of family income and family circumstances. If your circumstances change in future and you then receive benefits, you will need to apply for a Free School Meal (FSM). The number of children entitled to a FSM affects the funding we receive as a school. Therefore, we kindly ask all parents that believe they may be entitled, to apply for FSM. These forms can be collected from the school office or downloaded online from http://www.rochdale.gov.uk/schools_and_children/free_school_meals.aspx
🔗 Useful Links 🔗
A range of activities are set each half term related to the learning taking place in the classroom.
Payments for dinners, trips and other activities can be made online using the School Gateway.
Would you like the opportunity to win £25,000 each week and support the school? If so, please join the Parkfield school lottery where one person from our school is guaranteed a prize each week. A percentage of the money raised goes towards school funds.
🔔 Reminders 🔔
✅ Please read as much as possible with your child. Just 10 minutes a day can make a huge difference.
✅ There is a spelling test each Friday for Y1-6 and new spellings to be learnt are also given out on a Friday.
✅ Library days: Mon – 5/6, Tues – 3/4, Weds – 1/2, Thurs – R.
✅ Mathletics tasks are set online each week to consolidate and extend learning.
✅ ‘Plain black’ shoes or trainers with no other colours on them
✅ Information about school uniform can be found on the school website here.
✅ All after school clubs finish at 4pm. Please let us know if your child doesn’t want to continue as we usually have long waiting lists.
✅ School water bottles are available for £1 from the school office. No other water bottle is allowed.
✅ All equipment is provided by school. Please don’t send pens, pencils, pencil cases…etc.
✅ Remember to check your emails, we like to send plenty!
⏰ Attendance and Punctuality
- School doors are open between 8.45 - 8.50am. Thank you for getting your children to school on time so that they are able to complete the start of day activities.
⚠️ Health and Safety
- Please DO NOT bring dogs into the school grounds.
- Please don't allow children onto school equipment before and after school.