Issue 8 - Friday 8th November 2019
Dear Parents and Carers
At Parkfield, we want our children to have moments that they'll remember for years to come. This week a group of Year 1 children had a fabulous opportunity when they visited and played in a competition at Manchester United's Carrington training ground. Although they may not all have been reds, it's certainly something for them all to remember.
An additional memorable experience this week was our 'Remember, Remember the 5th of November' theme day. The whole school had an amazing day when they learnt all about bonfire night and why it's celebrated across the country. A video showcasing all the wonderful work can be found by clicking here.
Please see below for more news and some exciting events, including a parent drop in for spellings.
Have a wonderful weekend.
CHILDREN IN NEED
Next Friday 15th November, children may come in non-uniform for a suggested donation of £1. The money will go towards this wonderful charity and we'll be learning about the charity during assemblies next week. On the Friday at 9am we're going to be taking part with other schools across the country in a live HIIT workout with fitness instructor Joe Wickes. As a result of the HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workout we do suggest your children come in comfortable/sports clothes! Click here to watch a video from Joe himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fWHkAdOojE The school council will also be selling other Childen in Need related products.
POLLING DAY - WE'RE OPEN!
A reminder that Parkfield will be a polling station for the forthcoming General Election but you will be pleased to know that we are going to be open on Thursday 12th December. More information to follow.
HOUSE POINTS CHANGE
The children are finding our new house point system exciting and the half termly scores, which can now be found on the website, prove that the scores for the four houses are going to be close.
PARENT DROP INS
Would you like to know how you can help with spelling at home? If so, parents from Y1-6 are invited to join their child in class for a spelling lesson on Friday 22nd November or Friday 29th November from 8.45am. After dropping off your child(ren), parents are invited into the hall for a quick introduction followed by a 30 minute lesson in the classroom. Parents are welcome to choose the date which suits them best and those parents with more then one child are more than welcome to join us for both days.
RECEPTION PARENT'S INVITE
Next Friday 15th at 1.45pm Reception parent's are invited to join their children for a special P-Day - looking at how we deliver phonics. More details will follow via email.
PTA RAFFLE TICKETS
Would you like to win £500 before Christmas? Please keep an eye out for a raffle ticket books being sent early next week where £5 enters you into the prize draw.
PTA DISCO TICKETS
Tickets for the children's fancy dress disco, organised by the PTA, next Friday 15th November at 6:30pm, are currently on sale at the office for £5 per family.
Please ensure your child comes to school with appropriate clothing for the cold weather. All children will need a suitable coat and hat. A scarf and gloves will also probably be needed as we do venture outside in all weathers.
Our teachers have been working hard on our new curriculum website to now have information about the topics each class will be learning about this half-term:
- Reception: How do you celebrate?
- Years 1 and 2: Where would you prefer to live: England or Kenya?
- Years 3 and 4: Would we survive without gravity, electricity or water?
- Years 5 and 6: How did the Battle of Britain change WWII?
Our School Council are currently selling a variety of items in aid of the Royal British Legion's annual fundraising campaign leading up to Remembrance Day. Please note that there are suggested donation amounts for each type of item.
Another unforgettable experience for Parkfied! The whole school will be visiting Middleton Arena for this year's Cinderella festive pantomime on Tuesday 10th December. The PTA will be kindly donating 50% of the ticket price towards the show which means it will only cost £5 per child and payment can now be made on the School Gateway.
If you know any prospective parents, please let them know that they can visit us next Thursday 14th November anytime between 9am and 3pm. For those able to make it, there will be a short presentation by Headteacher Mr Kemp at 9.30am.
🍴 School Dinners🍴
- Please let the school office know as soon as possible if your child is changing from school meals to packed lunches and vice versa.
- In line with local authority guidance, the price of school meals has increased to £2.20 each day, £11 per week for KS2 children. All monies will be collected using 'School Gateway'. Please note, if school meals are 2 weeks in arrears you will be asked to provide a packed lunch.
- The school provides healthy and nutritious school meals that are cooked onsite. The contents of each school meal is in line with Healthy Eating Guidelines which is a requirement for all schools.
- All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to a Universal Infant Free School Meal (UIFSM), irrespective of family income and family circumstances. If your circumstances change in future and you then receive benefits, you will need to apply for a Free School Meal (FSM). The number of children entitled to a FSM affects the funding we receive as a school. Therefore, we kindly ask all parents that believe they may be entitled, to apply for FSM. These forms can be collected from the school office or downloaded online from http://www.rochdale.gov.uk/schools_and_children/free_school_meals.aspx
🔗 Useful Links 🔗
A range of activities are set each half term related to the learning taking place in the classroom.
Payments for dinners, trips and other activities can be made online using the School Gateway.
Would you like the opportunity to win £25,000 each week and support the school? If so, please join the Parkfield school lottery where one person from our school is guaranteed a prize each week. A percentage of the money raised goes towards school funds.
🔔 Reminders 🔔
✅ Please read as much as possible with your child. Just 10 minutes a day can make a huge difference.
✅ There is a spelling test each Friday for Y1-6 and new spellings to be learnt are also given out on a Friday.
✅ Library days: Mon – 5/6, Tues – 3/4, Weds – 1/2, Thurs – R.
✅ Mathletics tasks are set online each week to consolidate and extend learning.
✅ ‘Plain black’ shoes or trainers with no other colours on them
✅ Information about school uniform can be found on the school website here.
✅ All after school clubs finish at 4pm. Please let us know if your child doesn’t want to continue as we usually have long waiting lists.
✅ School water bottles are available for £1 from the school office. No other water bottle is allowed.
✅ All equipment is provided by school. Please don’t send pens, pencils, pencil cases…etc.
✅ Remember to check your emails, we like to send plenty!
⏰ Attendance and Punctuality
- School doors are open between 8.45 - 8.50am. Thank you for getting your children to school on time so that they are able to complete the start of day activities.
⚠️ Health and Safety
- Please do not park in front of the school gates at any time. This week we have a had a few complaints because people are parking and the road is being blocked. This is unsafe for both our children and parents.