Issue 9 - Friday 22nd November 2019
Dear Parents and Carers
As December gets ever nearer, I'd like to remind all parents and carers to look at the calendar below which gives dates and times for all of our Christmas events. It's always a busy month with nativities, church services and movie nights and I wouldn't want any of our families to miss out on these opportunities.
Earlier this week our footballers won their final league game to finish as the winners of the Middleton Central league. This is our second year running winning this competition and demonstrates the hard work and dedication from our pupils.
Thanks to those parents and carers that were able to attend this morning's spelling sessions. I hope you found it useful and were able to take away some practical ideas that you can implement at home. The second session is next Friday with more details below.
Have a wonderful weekend.
GOOD LUCK MR BARNES
Y6 wished Mr Barnes good luck yesterday before he finished for his surgery. For those that aren't aware, Mr Barnes is donating a kidney to a family member and is likely to be off work for a few months. We're all incredibly proud of Mr Barnes and wish him a speedy recovery. Mr Hellon, who has been working alongside Mr Barnes for the past few weeks, will be teaching Y6 until Mr Barnes returns.
For those parents new to the school, we have three non-uniform days in the run up to the Christmas Fair so that donations can be forfeited to school and used as much needed prizes at the fair. Donations of chocolate, wine (29th Nov) and the £1 shop toy or gift (6th Dec) are always appreciated and in the past have helped us raise over £1000. The money raised helps to subsidise the pantomime which usually costs over £10 per child.
Please come along and support the Parkfield PTA on Friday 6th December from 3.15pm in the school hall where there will be a number of festive stalls.
PARENT DROP INS - REMINDER - NEXT FRIDAY 29th
Would you like to know how you can help with spelling at home? If so, parents from Y1-6 are invited to join their child in class for a spelling lesson on Friday 29th November from 8.45am. After dropping off your child(ren), parents are invited into the hall for a quick introduction followed by a 30 minute lesson in the classroom.
PANTOMIME - REMINDER
Another unforgettable experience for Parkfied! The whole school will be visiting Middleton Arena for this year's Cinderella festive pantomime on Tuesday 10th December. The PTA will be kindly donating 50% of the ticket price towards the show which means it will only cost £5 per child and payment can now be made on the School Gateway.
CHILDREN IN NEED
Thank you for your support with Children in Need. A huge thanks also to Mr Barnes who helped raise even more money for the charity by getting 'gunged' by a great number of pupils on the day. When we've been to the bank to deposit the funds we'll let you know what we raied.
POLLING DAY - WE'RE OPEN!
A reminder that Parkfield will be a polling station for the forthcoming General Election but you will be pleased to know that we are going to be open on Thursday 12th December. To ensure the safety of all pupils and the smooth running of the school day the following changes will be put in place:
- Polling will be in the Blue Room: the internal doors will be locked so there will be no access to the rest of the school.
- Before and After school club will take place in the hall.
- All children will enter and leave the school through the KS2 playground at the back of the school. A member of staff will collect their classes.
- The large green KS2 gate will be locked all day.
- Dinner and break times will be staggered for KS1 and KS2 to minimise the number of children using the larger KS2 playground.
- The main entrance doors will be closed and not open automatically. They will only be opened by a member of the Parkfield office team.
SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR VACANCY
Would you like to join the Parkfield team? A vancancy in the school office has recently been advertised and is available on the https://greater.jobs/ website.
A reminder that school closes for the Christmas holidays on Thursday 19th December 2019.
The PTA disco was a huge success and made a profit of over £400. Many thanks to everyone who joined us for our PTFA family disco. We had lots of fun dancing, playing games, and doing quizzes! A big thank you to the PTFA who are doing a fabulous job in raising money for our Parkfield family.
If you'd like more information about the PTA please click here for the link on the school website.
PTA RAFFLE TICKETS
Would you like to win £500 before Christmas? Raffle tickets have been sent and if you'd like to take part please return your ticket with the £5 fee.
CHRISTMAS CINEMA NIGHT Y2 – Y6
The PTA will be holding a Christmas Cinema Night on Tuesday 3rd December 2019 from 3.15pm to 5pm, here in school.
There is a choice of films, the most popular film will be held in the school hall, the other two films will be in classrooms as they were last year.
- Santa Claus The Movie (U)
- Polar Express (U)
- Christmas Chronicles (PG)
Everyone will receive a drink, snack and some sweets, this event is open to children from year 2 up to year 6. If you would like a ticket for your child, please complete the slip that will be sent out on Monday 25th November, and return with your payment of £5 to the class teacher.
TEA WITH SANTA - RECEPTION AND YEAR 1
We are once again inviting our Reception and Year 1 children to have Tea with Santa on 9th December 3.15pm to 4.30pm.
The children will be taken straight from class to the school hall where they will have a special afternoon tea and a few games, Santa will arrive and the children will meet him and have a story before being collected at 4.30pm.
If you would like a ticket for your child for Tea with Santa, please complete the slip being sent home and return with your payment of £5 to school before the 6th December.
🍴 School Dinners🍴
- Please let the school office know as soon as possible if your child is changing from school meals to packed lunches and vice versa.
- In line with local authority guidance, the price of school meals has increased to £2.20 each day, £11 per week for KS2 children. All monies will be collected using 'School Gateway'. Please note, if school meals are 2 weeks in arrears you will be asked to provide a packed lunch.
- The school provides healthy and nutritious school meals that are cooked onsite. The contents of each school meal is in line with Healthy Eating Guidelines which is a requirement for all schools.
- All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to a Universal Infant Free School Meal (UIFSM), irrespective of family income and family circumstances. If your circumstances change in future and you then receive benefits, you will need to apply for a Free School Meal (FSM). The number of children entitled to a FSM affects the funding we receive as a school. Therefore, we kindly ask all parents that believe they may be entitled, to apply for FSM. These forms can be collected from the school office or downloaded online from http://www.rochdale.gov.uk/schools_and_children/free_school_meals.aspx
🔗 Useful Links 🔗
A range of activities are set each half term related to the learning taking place in the classroom.
Payments for dinners, trips and other activities can be made online using the School Gateway.
Would you like the opportunity to win £25,000 each week and support the school? If so, please join the Parkfield school lottery where one person from our school is guaranteed a prize each week. A percentage of the money raised goes towards school funds.
🔔 Reminders 🔔
✅ Please read as much as possible with your child. Just 10 minutes a day can make a huge difference.
✅ There is a spelling test each Friday for Y1-6 and new spellings to be learnt are also given out on a Friday.
✅ Library days: Mon – 5/6, Tues – 3/4, Weds – 1/2, Thurs – R.
✅ Mathletics tasks are set online each week to consolidate and extend learning.
✅ ‘Plain black’ shoes or trainers with no other colours on them
✅ Information about school uniform can be found on the school website here.
✅ All after school clubs finish at 4pm. Please let us know if your child doesn’t want to continue as we usually have long waiting lists.
✅ School water bottles are available for £1 from the school office. No other water bottle is allowed.
✅ All equipment is provided by school. Please don’t send pens, pencils, pencil cases…etc.
✅ Remember to check your emails, we like to send plenty!
⏰ Attendance and Punctuality
- School doors are open between 8.45 - 8.50am. Thank you for getting your children to school on time so that they are able to complete the start of day activities.
⚠️ Health and Safety
- Please do not park in front of the school gates at any time. This week we have a had a few complaints because people are parking and the road is being blocked. This is unsafe for both our children and parents.